Wednesday, January 6, 2010

'Fess Up Fridays - Beat The Babies (Wk 1)

Honestly, does your creativity end in December?  Does your need for handmade gifts end in December? Does your desire to buy new stuff use up what you've got end in December? Nope. Me neither.

So I decided to keep up 'Fess Up Fridays. And since I need a deadline goal, I'm going to be posting 'FUF - Beat The Babies edition.  And we all know that it's important for crafters to beat the babies, right? :o)

And by "beat the babies" you know that I mean that I have to complete the project before the baby recipient gets borned, right?  Okay, good. I didn't want anyone reporting me for baby abuse.

In my little world, I know of 4 babies getting borned sometime between now and June. Two boys, one girl (mine!), and one yet-to-be-revealed (dangit).

The first baby is due to my bestest friend, Angela, in early March. They're the meanies ones that want the gender to be a surprise. Ang has picked nursery colors to be in varying shades of orange, and is using black (and some white, if I recall correctly) furniture. She's going to be adding some other colors, too, to keep it from being too Halloween-y.

And, for the record, this is the baby whose gifts are going to be the most complex. Mostly because I'm probably going to be more generous with these babies than with (at least) two of the other babies. So, for now at least, I'm going to concentrate on beating Angela's baby.

Here's the list of desired gifts, not necessarily in baby-beating order: (Angela, you don't read my blog, right?)  :o)

  1. Crib quilt made with variety of fabrics, the focal point to be Katie Jump Rope Dots in Geranium.
  2. At least one, hopefully more, receiving blankets made of soft and snuggly flannel.
  3. Sweet burp cloths made with flannel to match the receiving blankets. (I much prefer the Gerber Premium Prefold Diapers for this.) (I only needed to make that mistake once!)
  4.  A snuggle blanket* with satin on one side and something like velour on the other. (It could be anywhere from 12" square to 36" square, depending on what I find) (Mookie absolutely adores her two like this)
  5. A stroller blanket with red minkee on one side, and the Alexander Henry Diamond Eye on the other.
And, well, yes, you are right. Her baby is due in about 8 weeks. And it's probably going to take me that many weeks of FuF-BtB to even get the fabric cut out for the crib quilt, much less COMPLETE any of the other projects!!

Eep!

The good news is that I finally got the book with the pattern I want to use for the crib quilt. Angela is not as, hmmm...shall we say, symmetrical as I am. It's not that she's funky in an artsy-fartsy kind of way, it's just that she doesn't feel the need for everything to be as square symmetrical as I do. So I wanted a quilt pattern that would reflect the non-traditional, funky mom she is.  Thus, I've chosen to make a bit of a wonky, crooked log cabin, based on the quilt pattern by Denyse Schmidt. (She calls it "What A Bunch of Squares" in her book). Pat Sloan does one, too, called the Crooked Cabin.)

And, me? Making something "funky" or "wonky" or "crooked"? Is going to S-T-R-E-T-C-H me to the outer bounds of my comfort zone, and probably take me far, far away into a galaxy of discomfort the likes of which I have never seen.

But I am committed.

Or I will be committed after this project is done, one of the two! To the Funny Farm! :o)

And, so, hopefully, by next Friday, I will have made some progress, and can show you my handiwork! Hopefully!!

So, now it's your turn to 'fess up...what are you working on? Any babies deadlines you're trying to beat? :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you sewing?